Provided you qualify, it is fairly straightforward to apply for a work permit in the United States. A U.S. work permit is also called an employment authorization document, or EAD. The EAD application is a one-page form, and you attach your supporting documentation and submit everything to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If you are a U.S. immigrant or resident and want your EAD, here is how to get a work permit.

Who Qualifies for a Work Permit

Work permits are for a select group of people. Typically, those people are in the process of applying for their green card or adjustment of status. Additionally, they have the right to be in the United States.

Who Needs a Work Permit

Most people who immigrate to the U.S. will need to work for a living. To work in the United States, you must have one of the following documents:

  • A permanent resident card, which is known as a Green Card;
  • Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit); or
  • An employment-related visa that allows you to work for a specific employer.

Types of Workers

  • Permanent (Immigrant) Worker: This is a permanent worker who has authority to live and work permanently in the county.
  • Temporary (Non-Immigrant) Worker: This is a temporary work situation where someone enters the country for a specific purpose. A non-immigrant can enter the country for a temporary period of time. Then, once in the United States, they can only work in the activity for which their visa was issued.
  • Temporary Business Visitors: If someone visits the United States for business purposes, they need a B-1 visa, unless they qualify without one through the Visa Waiver Program.


Discuss your questions with our Waco immigration lawyers during a free consultation.


Steps to Filing Your Work Permit

Start by downloading Form I-765 from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website. Be sure to accurately fill out all the information and be clear on your last entry into the United States. Even if you only left for a few days, your return date would be the date. Spend an adequate amount of time verifying you have Question 16, your eligibility category, properly marked.

You will need photocopies for your Question 16 answer. If you are applying for your work permit in conjunction with your adjustment of status, you will not need to include eligibility proof. They ascertain eligibility from the application itself.

Verify that you included the right fee amount, which tends to go up frequently. For those requesting deferred action, you will need to pay a biometrics fee as well. Some categories may be exempt from the fees, like someone filing for their permit at the same time as their adjustment of status. It’s required to pay fees by check or money order if you mail in your application, while those e-filing can pay by debit card, credit card, or an electronic transfer of funds from a United States bank. If you’re mailing the form, be sure to verify you are sending it to the right address, as it may differ based on your eligibility category.

Retaining a Texas Immigration Attorney

If you need assistance with immigration matters such as work visas or work permits, discuss your case with a skilled Waco immigration attorney at the Law Office of Simer & Tetens. You want to make sure everything is done correctly to ensure your paperwork is not rejected, and you are subsequently unable to file for your work permit.

Contact us today for a free consultation!

Source: American Immigration Council


We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Request a consultation today!

Request A Consultation

Call Us
Find Us
Font Resize
Call Us Text Us