Lea esta página en español.

U.S. citizenship comes with many perks. This includes living without fear of deportation or any other repercussions of living in the country illegally.

That said, U.S. citizenship is not just handed out to anyone who wants it. Gaining citizenship status requires years of your time, hard work, and money. Additionally, it requires the skill and knowledge of a Waco visa attorney.

Technically, you do not need the help of an attorney to apply for or gain your visa. However, working with a skilled lawyer can help you avoid common mistakes during the application process.

At Simer & Tetens, our visa lawyers in Waco, Texas assist foreign nationals in applying for their visas and green cards. We also provide a rigorous defense to foreign nationals who face deportation.

Whether you wish to enter the U.S. or to stay in the U.S., contact the experienced visa attorneys at our Waco law firm to learn more about what you need to do to obtain your visa and live in the country as a lawful citizen.

Immigration Services in Waco and Surrounding Areas

Visas are not one size fits all.

The U.S. offers several different types of documentation that make it lawful for foreign nationals to live on American soil.

Which visa or green card the Department of Homeland Security assigns to an individual depends on a number of factors, including but not limited to the following:

  • Reason for the individual’s residence
  • The length of his or her stay
  • Who is applying on the individual’s behalf—him or herself, an investor, or an employer.

At Simer & Tetens, we can help you with the following types of visas:

Work Visas

Many foreign nationals wish to come to the U.S. to work. In order to do so, a person must have the appropriate type of work visa. There are several different types of work visas available. A knowledgeable work visa lawyer can assess your goals and help you select the one that is right for you.

H-1B Visas

An H-1B visa is a visa that allows an American company to petition on behalf of a foreign national. In order for a company to do this, it must meet certain requirements, and the person in question must have his or her bachelor’s degree.

Investor Visas

The U.S. government has set aside a certain number of visas for foreign investors who wish to invest their money into the American economy.

L1 Visas

An L-1 visa is available to a non-immigrant worker on a temporary basis. The individual must come into the U.S. to work as an executive, manager, or in some other position that requires specialized knowledge.


A PERM is a type of petition filed on behalf of an American employer who is in need of the skills and services that only a certain foreign national can provide. The complete requirements for this type of certification can be found at the US Citizen and Immigration Services website.

K1 and K3 Visas

K1 and K3 visas are available to the current spouses or soon-to-be spouses of American citizens. A visa attorney can help you understand the full eligibility requirements of “fiancé visas.”

NAFTA (TN Visas)

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) provides that there are special trade relationships among the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. The TN visa allows certain workers to temporarily enter the U.S. for business purposes.

Employment Authorizations

Individuals who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents may apply for employment authorization. This would grant them one full year of living and working in the United States.

Employment-Based Green Cards

If a foreign national receives an offer of permanent employment in the U.S., he or she may be granted green card status.

Family-Based Green Cards

You may be eligible for a green card if you are a family member of a green card holder, a family member of a citizen who fits into a preference category, an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, or a member of a special category.


Some individuals may be able to become actual citizens. The process to do so is referred to as the naturalization process.

Applicants must show that they have lived in the U.S. continuously for the past five years, have been physically present for at least 30 months of the five years before applying, show their attachment to the values of the U.S. Constitution, and meet several other eligibility requirements in order to qualify for citizenship.

Deportation Assistance in Waco, Texas

You are only safe from deportation if you have obtained the necessary documentation to live and work in the U.S.

If you have not obtained such documentation, or if you have overstayed your visa, you may find yourself on the fast track to deportation.

Our Waco visa lawyers can help fight your deportation and to reduce the penalties of being in the country without proper documentation. If you are facing deportation, you should contact us today to discuss your options.

Retain the Help of a Skilled Waco Visa Attorney

Whether you are already living in the U.S. and wish to extend your visa, want to enter the U.S. and need to obtain a visa, or need help fighting a deportation, you should reach out to the Waco visa lawyers at Simer & Tetens. Our expert Texas attorneys can provide the legal assistance you need.

You can reach our attorneys today for a free consultation by calling us directly at 254-412-2300 or by sending us a message online.

Source: Migration Policy Institute